Sunday, July 10, 2011

This used to be my playground.......

Don't know why suddenly I had this urge of sharing this post with you guys,may be it has been too much of BERSIH'ing of late.

I was growing up in this place,they used to call a Chinese ghetto but the name for it is,"Rifle Range Flats" you may wonder why did they call it Rifle Range, it is simply because that plot of land where 9 blocks of flats stand used to be a rifle range,(shooting ground lah)The unit that i was growing up in was a one room flat and we (my siblings) really had good time growing up there.
This is the uncle Salim that i used to buy my "Top of the Pops" magazine from, anyone of you still remember this Magazine that featured the British chart toppers" remember Kajagogo, Johnny Hates Jazz, Rick Astlely, Spandau Ballet, Queen, Alison Moyet,Paul Young and many more? Remember?
Me and Uncle Salim, he still recognizes me after all these years, it has been at least 30 years..

And this is the kind of bread seller (not this one though) that i used to wait for every evening,when i heard the clanging of the bell, i would rush down to get my Bengkali Roti, remember Bengakali Roti?

This is the eatery that i use go right until now to savor my favourite childhood's breakfast. Used to come here playing badminton with my friends when the arcade was clear in the afternoon.

I grew up with simplicity and on the hindsight i love simplicity and thank God we were poor then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

P/S : It might be meandering but it is always nice to walk down memory lane





22 comments:

  1. "Thank God we were poor then". Very nicely said Eugene. Money has blinded us these days. It is no longer carefree... I miss the good ol' days..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and then you moved to a classier place...and soon you will move to an even more high-class one. Ya...for Penang godfather, the only way is up and up! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arthur or Arthur,don't say like that lah,, i just checked my bank statement, kononya, ada hutang hutang yang belum dilangsaikan,,, can help or not, cham seong, cham seong sikit sikit can kan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I grew up in the same era, my friend :D

    Those were wonderful times. I long for this country to be like that again and for my children to have the same experiences of what I had when I was growing up.

    Top of the pops was my favourite mag back then :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's always nice to remember our beginings,our roots so to speak. we will appreciate what we have not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, still got ding ding roti man? over here no more liow... the indian bakeries along the street has dwindled until one left only... last time i used to buy fried sweet potato and coconut buns from them.. yeah, this was our simple childhood memories.. top of the pops? heehhe.. i almost forgotten about this one, all i remember was Fanfare and Galaxie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss the bells ringing bread vendor and I would rush to go buy, cream bun ^^.

    Cream bun back then was filled and delicous, those today just taste lousy :3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this place. My late grandmother used to live there.. and we always visited her and it was really fun. My grandmum liked to live in rifle range because according to her it was very lively with people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. though we might be different in age, but hey, my dad just dropped me off at a old bakery shop at Transfer Road to get him 2 loaves of Bengkali Roti just now la wei. I luv Bengkali Roti too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i used to play there before the flats were built, climbing up n down the small hills. we practically saw them take shape. there were occasionally human bones , skull fragments from time to time as construction went on and the rain washed soil away

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo~ uncle Salim still remember you. Back then, you must be his biggest young customer, huh?

    This post reminds us not to forget our root :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sure the place has alot of your childhood memories... There's this bread seller at my hometown too! But not Bengkali Roti la... :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH Rifle Range! That's where the Godfather used to practise his .45 magnum. Have you upgraded to the Walther PPK, the handgun used by Agent 007? hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nick : ya,we grew up the same era,enjoy every bit of it

    Johnny : yup 饮水思源

    Lady : nice kan good old days

    Claire : you don't have the ting ting tong tong bread there anymore ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. those were the days - the roti man!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was also from Rifle Range Flats (Blk B). Maybe we knew each other?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eugene: I like this kind of post...Yeah thank god we were poor then. Well said bro!

    p/s: just try n try again to add me ya...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rifle Range - I remember reading an article about it recently and that residents are very happy with the place because of its convenience to food, etc.

    Thanks for taking us down your memory lane sharing sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah... nvr forget our root... proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow...very good memory...and it's always a fantastic feeling to have someone still recognize you after 30 years!

    ReplyDelete