Friday, February 18, 2011

Promise must be kept..........

I was out having some after work "happy hour" with some friends with the absence of my lovely wife and after not long enjoying myself,my phone rang..................

"Papa, what time are you coming back ?" it was from Jovial (my eldest) i felt kind of agitated, here i was enjoying myself, karaoking and chatting away but was being rushed by Jovial, i rudely replied,"would be back shortly" then abruptly i hanged up.

My phone rang again after about an hour from the last call from Jovial," Papa, just now you said you'd be back a short while but now it's already 9.30 already and you are not back yet." again with my frutrated voice i said," i am here with friends and you don't call me again, i would be back early,ok" again i hanged up.

After hanging up on him, i felt bad and i told my friends that i needed to go back already. On the way back, i was asking myself, wasn't it a promise to my two sons that i would spend more time with them in the evening, wasn't it a promise that i made to them to talk to them before their bed time, weren't those my promises ? i asked myself.

When i finally reached home about 9.55 pm, Jovial and Marvell came out from their bed room and charged towards me, giving me a bear hug and telling me." Papa, we miss you lah" then i kissed Jovial on the forehead i said this to him," Thank Jo, i am sorry for sounding angry at you and i know that you love me"

I know probably one day in a not distant future, my two boys will outgrow me in no time, therefore i rather enjoy this beautiful moment of spending time with them now but then again i am sanguine that my two boys shall always remain as loving and caring towards their papa as they are now always

Have a great weekend guys and spend more time with the family..............God Bless.

P/S : Don't let it slip away,,,,,,i mean time spending with the family

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder on this Friday morning. I guess I ought to do so as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now, i understand why my hubby always said "yes" to 小幺...I should be like that too. Not just promise but to spend more time with him. I know, very soon he will have his own friends and won't kiss me and say "good night mummy, I love you"... everyday, every night...

    ReplyDelete
  3. when u explain to them, they would understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yah, we must keep our promise , only then they can kept the promise ... but u r good dad i can see !!! Is true, spending time with the young wan is something $$$ cannot buy .... while we still can . I always hope my 2 boys dun grow up so fast ... once they hv frens , they might not be so close to us edi .... hmmm hmmmm ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ^^
    I read your blogs many times but this is the 1st comment (^_^)

    I experienced this many times with my little brother. It was 6 or 7 years ago when i was 16 and he was 11. I promised to do something for him, like hanging out with him or watching a movie with him, or to buy something for him, and then I totally forgot about that or I just didn't wanna do it because I wanted to hang out with my friends.

    Now, I'm in US, and he's still in Vietnam. Every time I remember him, I feel extremely torn and horrible and tears just pours out. What I miss the most is all the broken promises that I made. Even though now I explained to him and apologized to him, and he just laughed and understood! [I felt even worse] But nothing I can do to get those times back.

    Thanks again for sharing all of your stories. And yes, family is the first [of course under God, huh ^^]

    God speed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts as well.

    Thanks to you Ti Toe for being my silent reader and thanks again for breaking that silence......i went over to your blog, sorry i could not understand Vietnam language but i do not Cum On ban..( i hope i write that is Thank you in Vietnam )

    ReplyDelete
  7. makes me miss my late father. *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spending time with family is no doubt important!
    Wishing you a greay Friday Eugene!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it worth to spend most of your time with your kids..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yupe! We must must be the ones who walk our talk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. shame on you, Eugene. The boys must have been waiting for you for a long time and beh tahan baru call you twice.

    You feel bad? Guess what Jovial felt when you cut him off like that saying you are with friends.

    But kudos to you for realising this and made it up to them. You are a good dad. Very brave of you to put this in writing to remind us to cherish our kids and never break promise.Thank you for this.

    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ya... Small Kuching indeed shame on me,,,,i accept your bashing with open heart

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes speding time with family is great. just thought of someone who is lost of family, those children who need help.. sorry to burst out here, just wanna share world vision is doing "change a life, change your own" roadshow to help more ppl who is lost with love & family

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got to agree with your title.... trust is built on words. To gain trust, don't attempt to break promises you've made.

    Have a happy weekend, Eugene and thanks for the little reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey bro..nowadays only can comment in your blog after work... your boys really sayang u very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think your boys worry that you drink ... they know it is not good for your health...

    ReplyDelete
  17. i teared. by the simple fact you realised.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are a great family man knew how to leave your friends at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. uuhh..i'm missing my kids already by now..huhu

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry - been busy running here and there in KL. Melissa's gone back to NZ now and I'm back home in Sibu. Did not have time to bloghop and post comment. Anyway, I'm back!

    Must never make promises to children and not keep them - empty promises ...that will affect them in their personality development. Follow the leader... If unavoidable, must apologise and make them understand why - don;t bluff or make excuses. Kids know more than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Family first, sadly not everyone think that way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the title of your blog, and love the hearts of boys for their father and back again. :)

    ReplyDelete